Professor at the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Leuven (KU Leuven), Coordinator of research at LINES (Leuven International and European Studies).
WORK IN PROGRESS.
- Out of the margins: reflections on Roma and youth development (book chapter, to be published by Oxford University Press)
- Victimhood as victory: the role of memory politics in the process of de-Europeanization in East Central Europe (journal article)
- Nationalism with a human face: European human rights judgements and the reinvention of nationalist politics (journal article, co-authored with Kristin Henrard)
- A new nonfiction book on restorative justice following a murder trial in Brussels (under contract with De Bezige Bij)
CURRENT RESEARCH COLLABORATIONS.
- 2002, PhD in the Social Sciences
- 1996, Polish language and culture
- 1995, MA Cultural Studies
- 1994, MA East European Studies and Slavic Languages
- 2007-2008, Visiting Scholar, Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, Harvard University
- 2003, Postdoctoral Fellowship FWO
- 2002, Postdoctoral Fellowship KU Leuven
- 2000, Researcher in Residence at the OSCE secreteriat
- 1998, Research Fellowship FWO
- Ex. Over een land dat zoek is (Prijs Letterkunde Proza 2016 van de Provincie West-Vlaanderen, Longlist AKO Literatuurprijs, 2014, Longlist Gouden Boekenuil, 2015, Shortlist E. du Perronprijs, 2014, Shortlist Bob den Uyl Prijs, 2015)
- Prize of the Research Council of the KU Leuven for the Humanities, 2005
Editorial and advisory positions.
- Member of the ASN convention program committee and board of directors
- Member of The New Metropolitan, a web journal on new cultures of urban citizens
- Member of the editorial board of Karakter, a Dutch-language journal with essays about all aspects of science (2010-2016)
- Member of the editoral board of DW B literary journal
- Member of the Board of PEN-Vlaanderen, the Flemish branch of PEN International (2012-2016)
- Member of the editoral board of the Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe
- Member of the Academic Steering Committee of the Leuven Centre for Irish Studies
- Member of the editoral advisory board of Interaction: the Journal of Solution Focus in Organisations
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the European Network on Romani Studies (Council of Europe/European Union) (2013-2015)
- Coordinator of the Brussels Poetry Collective at the International Literature House Passa Porta (2008-2014)